IMPORTANT MILESTONE REACHED TO HANDLE CLAIMS IN THE EVENT OF A TANKER OIL SPILL
We are proud to announce that we have taken another concrete step to increase our capacity in the event of a tanker incident in Canadian waters. This crucial step was formalized by signing an agreement with the International Oil Pollution Compensation Funds (IOPC Funds). This will improve our cooperation with the IOPC Funds to assist Canadian claimants when they need it most.
Here is what this collaboration may look like:
- We may jointly inform the public on the compensation available and how to submit claims.
- We may create an optimized claims handling process, including:
- publicizing information to potential claimants and stakeholders,
- establishing a joint claims office, or
- sharing expertise and resources such as surveyors.
- We may discuss how we will proceed to the recovery after claims have been paid.
This agreement also supports our on-going collaboration. We will participate in joint training or workshops. Our two organizations already have a strong partnership. This agreement will deepen it and increase our preparedness for mass compensation.