Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Officer
About the Office of the Administrator:
The Ship-source Oil Pollution Fund (SOPF) compensates victims of oil pollution damage caused by ships. The SOPF is celebrating its 30th anniversary in 2019.
The Fund for Railway Accidents Involving Designated Goods (FRAIDG) compensates victims of railway accidents involving crude oil, should damages exceed the railways’ limits of liability. The FRAIDG will reach its third year of existence in 2019.
Both Funds share the same premises, as well as a number of their human resources. Their common office is in downtown Ottawa and hosts a staff of some 20 employees from various backgrounds, (finance, law, marine expertise, communications, information management, and administration).
The Office of the Administrator is outside of the federal public service and its employees and consultants are not covered by the collective bargaining agreements of the federal government. Furthermore, the employees are not covered by the pension and benefits regime provided to federal public service employees.
More information on the Funds can be found on their websites and in their annual reports:
The Administrator of the Fund has identified the need for a Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Officer to contribute to and implement the strategic plan relating to engagement activities, event coordination and communication with stakeholders of each of the funds.
Based in the Ottawa office, and for a full-time term contract of one year, the Communications and Stakeholder Engagement Officer will:
- produce marketing and/or communications products by demonstrating some of the following skills: writing, editing, design, layout, illustration and project coordination;
- develop some or all of the following: Qs and As, reports, advertising, news articles, infographics, social media content, web content, videos;
- lead, coordinate and evaluate the Funds’ web presence, to promote outreach;
- plan and coordinate speaker participation in events and/or event logistics;
- plan and arrange the Funds’ outreach calendar across Canada and assist with the related logistics;
- gather information, develop and create high-quality documentation for various workshops, meetings and presentations;
- act as liaison with other stakeholders to exchange information and coordinate activities;
- collect data, analyze and produce reports relevant to communications.
This is a new position, which should be filled as soon as possible. After one year, this position will be terminated, turned into a permanent position or be redesigned into a modified full-time or part-time position.
- hold a bachelor’s degree from a recognized university in a field related to marketing and/or communications; and/or administration, commerce, education or other field relevant to consumer education;
- be a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident, or have refugee status;
- have an excellent level of proficiency in English or in French (orally and in writing) and at least a CCB level in the other official language;
- have knowledge of communications and/or marketing practices and trends such as innovative thinking, building business relations and customer service orientation;
- have experience in project management;
- be computer and social media literate;
- be curious, a quick learner, logical and organized, have the ability to work with minimum supervision, and function well as part of a team;
- know how to apply user-focused web-writing techniques to produce high-quality, meaningful content on tight deadlines;
- have a “Reliability Status” (in terms of security clearance) or be able to obtain it, when hired.
The salary range for this position is from $57,000 to 70,000 for a 35-hour/week, depending on the experience. Please note that the employees of the Funds do not belong to the federal public service and are therefore not entitled to the benefits available to federal public servants. However, as a private employer, the Funds provide their own benefit package to their employees.
- There will be no relocation assistance provided.
- Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Deadline for submission: January 25, 2019